Chapter one
NATURE AND MISSION OF THE MOVEMENT
"Once you were no people
but now you are God's people;
a chosen race, a royal priesthood,
a holy nation, God's own people."
(1 Pt 2:9-10)
We are special to God. Remember that Jesus cried out "I Thirst". He thirsts for our love. And He also wants to love others through us. We have to be Jesus for his people, to show them his love and at the same time others are Jesus for us.
"Family, become what you are!"
(FC No. 17)
We all know what a family is supposed to be, what it should be. How do I become family? In my case I am a single with very little in the way of living family. But I do have a good sized circle of friends. How can I be "family" to them? In my case I try to be deep friends to those who are lonely. I want them to feel their worth, to know that they are loved.
NATURE AND MISSION OF THE MOVEMENT
1 - Our Movement known as the "Lay Missionaries of Charity, is an international Association of lay persons, both married and single:
Note that this is an international association - we must be ready to recognize that we come from all corners of the world. As such we need to be ready to meet also the stranger in our own land and recognize our common human bond. Perhaps in this I am going overboard but I have seen deep prejudices in my own family or in the workplace in the past. I have seen anti-catholic prejudices, racial prejudices, and also those against those of different economic classes. As a member of an international association it would be arrogant to hold onto these.
- who take private vows of (conjugal) chastity, poverty, obedience and whole-hearted free service to the poorest of the poor, lived according to each one's own state of life;
My way of living these vows has to be within the state of life of a consecrated virgin living in the world. For me this means also looking at the requirements for consecrated virgins. The Rite of Consecration of Virgins living in the world has a good basis for the life of consecrated virgins.
- with a life marked by prayer and a spirit of joyful sacrifice within their own families and in the heart of the world, and thus living an upright and holy life in every place, consecrating the world entirely to God, aided by a spiritual father who understands and shares the spirit of the Missionaries of Charity;
How have I prayed today? For whom did I wish to pray? How quickly did I respond to someone's need? Who is my spiritual father? Sometimes we do not live in an area that has anyone to be our spiritual father. I consider the bishop of my diocese as my spiritual father and I also make it a point to read as much on the life of Mother Teresa as I can. I also spend time reading about I Thirst (check google for this).
- who are intimately linked to the family of the Missionaries of Charity, founded by Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and with whom they are spiritually affiliated;
If you are a remote member remember to stay in touch with some group somewhere. The LMC website can put you in touch with an internation link(maybe).
- who fully recognise the Magisterium of the Church, and respect and obey its ministers.
I try to stay informed about what is going on in the church on the local, diocesan, national, and international levels. I also make it a point to do what I call formational reading.
2 - The spirit of the Lay Missionaries of Charity is one of total abandonment to God's holy will, child-like trust in His Fatherly care and readiness for service in profound humility after the example of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
For the MC sister this is expressed as total surrender, loving trust, and cheerfulness. This is also the spirit as it was taught to me before Mother Teresa's desire to have the Carriers of God's Love become Lay Missionaries of Charity. This is worthy of a lot more comment - especially have you noticed how cheerfull the MC sisters are? They have joy. So we are to become all for Jesus through Mary and do it with a big smile.
3 - The aim of the lay Missionaries of Charity is to quench the infinite thirst of Jesus on the Cross for the love of souls, by means of the annual profession of the four private vows according to the Statutes.
Here is where I would really try to make an effort to read about I Thirst. Right now I have difficulty with the website but it is http://www.mcpriests.com/15legacy/indexB.htm .
4 - The special mission of the LMCs is to work for the salvation and the sanctification of the members of their own families and of the poorest of the poor of the whole world:
- with their constant effort to transform their own families into true sanctuaries of love by means of family prayer, dialogue, sharing and service;
For the single, living alone this is difficult but this is the point where staying connected to family and friends by means of phones, email, and snail mail is important. Also it is good to make a point of gathering with those who are near on a regular basis.
- doing ordinary little things with extraordinary love, for the greater glory of God;
Mother says "Do small things with great love."
- living a life of prayer, penance and service, marked by simplicity, humility, and the practice of the Gospel teachings; loving and adoring Jesus under the species of Bread and Wine;
I love the words that Mother spoke when the Contemplative branches were formed.
- Know the Word of God.
- Love the Word of God.
- Live the Word of God.
- Give the Word of God.
For me the greatest thing is to pray in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament - especially when there is exposition.
- with their consecrated presence in the heart of the world;
We really are in the heart of the world. It seems that as each day comes along we have more to pray for. We are located where the rubber meets the road so to speak.
- loving and serving Jesus hidden under the distressing disguise of the poorest of the poor;
How often have we heard Mother speak of the distressing disguise of the poorest of the poor? Has it sunk in yet? He is that "bum" you avoided. He is the teenage hoodlum you crossed the street to avoid. He is that person who phones you with all depressing news.
- giving material help according to their own means and spiritual comfort to all those who are in need;
Yes this includes those outcasts of society and the "black sheep" of the family.
- sharing, as far as possible, the work and the life of the Missionaries of Charity;
Here the closest MC branch is four hours away by car - but I pray for them and their works and try to live the LMC charism as much as I can.
- accepting with joy their own sufferings and offering them to the Lord in total surrender, loving trust and cheerfulness.
Yes, here is where the total surrender, loving trust, and cheerfulness are brought in. These are much easier to talk about than to do. Let an adversity hit us and then we know how much more we still have to surrender, to trust, and to be cheerful.
5 - The Patron of the LMCs is the Holy Family of Nazareth, the model of life and source of inspiration.
6 - The sign of the consecration is a simple crucifix which they receive at the beginning of the period of formation, to be worn over the heart or around the neck, and a large one is given at the time of first profession.
This sign of consecration also becomes a form of witness. When someone asks about it a chance is given to tell about Mother Teresa, the Missionaries of Charity and the LMCs. It is especially a humble sign if the crucifix is of an inexpensive type and on a safety pin but I will admit that there are times when a simple cross on a chain is what I wear.
7 - The mode of dress is simple and dignified: a sign of the dedication to serving the poorest of the poor and as an example of modesty for all.
This is also a chance to exercise the vow of poverty. I have been known to shop at thrift stores for some clothing. Personally I try to make sure that my clothes do not fit too tightly. I have ended up using boy's sandals so that I have some that fit.