Gifts from the Father
This past weekend I found myself all of a sudden with some spare time. I decided that it was time to go down to the Greek Orthodox Monastery to visit their gift shop. Somehow I had lost my 50 knot prayer rope and wanted to replace it. On the way there I had a few things I had to do. First, fill my gas tank. Second, get a long overdue oil change. Third, stop for lunch. This I did at a little cafe where 97 branches off toward the west in its trip toward Goldendale. Lunch was very good and I appreciated the mixed vegetables that went along with a very good steak.
The next part of the journey goes across part of the valley on the Yakima Reservation, then up into the hills. The hills were carpeted with some black eyed susans and also some blue and purple flowers. I would like to have stopped to capture close-up shots of the flowers. God, you are so wonderful and your creation is awesome in reflecting your Beauty. So part of the way you have a stream with some trees on the left side of the road. Later you get a mixture of hardwoods and evergreens as you approach Satus Pass. Wonderful!!
After going over the Pass I started looking for the Monastery on the left side of the road. While I was there I found a 100 knot prayer rope and also purchased a small pair of icons for my office, one of Christ the Teacher and the other OL of Vladimir. I have them on my desk with a representation of Rublev's Trinity above them. I also got an icon of St. Anthony of Egypt at the same time. That one will go in the prayer room along with Mother Teresa and St. Andrew. While I was there I also picked up another hint on making the prayer ropes from the sisters.
The trip back was also a joy. I got to see everything in reverse. It was a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Sunday evening I wore myself out with a round dancing class and then on Monday evening Sr. Jan and I spent quite a few hours talking about our Journey to Catholicism and to our Vocations including some of the books we have read that were meaningful for us. It was a time of shared joy.
In the Heart of my Spouse,
Val
"Love makes the lover like unto the Beloved."